Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

Collecting Child Support from a Parent in another State

Posted by Chris Peterson | Jul 10, 2015 | 0 Comments

Collecting Child Support from a Parent in another State

Collecting Child Support from a Parent in another State

Collecting Child Support from a Parent in another State

Non-payment of child support has become a serious problem nationwide. Many thousands of single parents struggle to care for the needs of their children without the financial assistance that was ordered by a family court. Collecting child support can be challenging for these individuals, particularly if the non-custodial parent moves out of state. You should work with a Bryan divorce attorney if you are in this position.

Non-Payment of Child Support

If you are a parent who is not receiving ordered child support, it is important to keep in mind that the law is on your side. Non-payment of child support is a federal offense, and is punishable by a suspension of driving privileges, loss of ability to possess a passport, garnishment of wages, and even imprisonment.

If the other Parent Has Moved to another State

If the parent who is responsible for paying child support moves out of state and fails to make payments, you are protected under federal law. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) was established to enforce payment of child support. The act establishes methods through which you can enforce payment. These include:

  • Submit a request to your Texas family court to forward the child support order to the court in the jurisdiction/state where the other parent now resides. You then ask that court to enforce the child support order.
  • Physically visit the state where the other parent lives and file an enforcement order with the court in that jurisdiction.
  • Mail a copy of the support order to the other parent's employer and request garnishment of wages.

Unfortunately, as should be evident from the above, gaining enforcement of the child support order is not easily accomplished. For one, paying a visit to the state in question can be difficult both logistically and financially. Also, if you opt to request your Texas family court to forward the order to the court in question, this can take time. Finally, if the other parent has moved out of state with the intention of avoiding payment of support, he may move again.

For Assistance with a Child Support Matter

If you are experiencing a problem with payment of child support, consult a Bryan divorce attorney on your best options. Call Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment