Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

How to File for Child Support

Posted by Chris Peterson | Aug 02, 2014 | 0 Comments

How to File for Child Support

How to File for Child SupportTexas family courts universally hold the rights and needs of children as the first consideration. Child support is an integral part of making sure that children are well taken care of after parents separate. A Bryan Child Support Attorney can help you through the process of filing for support.

How Child Support Is Enforced

Child support is enforced by the state attorney general's office. When a court order is in place, the parent responsible for paying child support is legally bound to do so. Your Bryan Child Support Attorney will tell you that failure to do so is a misdemeanor, and can carry stiff penalties, including garnishment of wages and liens on bank accounts and real property.

Filing for Child Support

The process of filing for child support is fairly straightforward, but it will help to have a Bryan Child Support Attorney in your corner as you do so. He can help to make sure you don't forget any step in the process, and will be present with you at court hearings. The first step in filing is to locate the other parent, if you don't know where he is. The Office of the Attorney General can assist in your search. You will then need to do the following:

  • If paternity is in question, ask for a court order to have the other party tested.
  • Establish a direct deposit account for receipt of payments. The payments are made through the state attorney general's office.
  • You and your attorney will need to schedule a hearing. During this proceeding the judge will assess your child support needs and take into consideration the other parent's ability to pay/income. The judge will order a payment that she considers fair for both parties but that is in line with providing the needs of the children.

A Bryan Child Support Attorney Can Help You Gain Child Support

Whether you are filing to obtain child support for the first time, need a modification, or are seeking help in collecting on an existing order, a Bryan Child Support Attorney can help. Call Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm