Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

How to Get Full Custody of a Child

Posted by Chris Peterson | Sep 18, 2014 | 0 Comments

How to Get Full Custody of a Child

How to Get Full Custody of a ChildObtaining full custody of a child can be rather challenging in Texas family courts. This is because it is assumed that joint custody is generally most beneficial to the children. Whether you are getting a divorce or are divorced and need a modification to obtain full custody, it is highly advisable that you work with a Conroe child custody attorney who understands the process.

Joint Custody and Conservatorship

As your Conroe child custody attorney will tell you, the term “conservator” refers to a parent who holds at least partial custody rights to a child. A managing conservator is the one with whom the child lives most of the time, and who has a primary role in raising him or her. A possessory conservator is a parent who either has visitation rights. Texas courts always hold as the priority what is in the best interests of any children in a divorce. Because children naturally form a strong bond with both parents, it is assumed that joint custody is best.

Arguing for Full Custody

If you wish to obtain full custody of the children, it is incumbent upon you to show why the other parent should not retain joint custody. In other words, the burden of proof is on you. Your Conroe child custody attorney will help you bring this argument, but it needs to be on grounds for which you have credible evidence. Among the reasons allowed in the Texas Family Code are:

  • Child abuse
  • Child neglect
  • Absent parent
  • Domestic violence

You may have another compelling reason, but again, you must prove your allegations. For instance, if the father is a drunkard and becomes violent when drinking, clearly he isn't fit for assuming custody. Even so, you will need to bring evidence of his drinking and tendency toward violence. The judge will listen to your argument provided it is logical and backed by evidence.

Work with a Conroe Child Custody Attorney to Obtain Full Custody

Custody battles can be very grueling. It is in your best interests to hire a Conroe child custody attorney who will fight for you. Call Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm