Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

How long do I have to pay child support?

Posted by Chris Peterson | Jun 12, 2012 | 0 Comments

How long do I have to pay child support?

In Texas, the court can order one or both parents to pay child support until:

· the child is 18 years of age or graduates from High School, whichever occurs later;

· the child is emancipated through marriage, or through removal of disabilities of minority;

· the death of the child; or

· indefinitely if the child is considered to be disabled.

All of these time intervals are fairly self-explanatory except for bullet point number two. According to the Texas Family Code, any minor may petition to remove the disabilities of minority if they are:

· a resident of the state of Texas;

· 17 years old, or at least 16 and not living with their parents or legal guardians; and/or

· self-supporting and managing their own financial affairs.

Except for age requirements specifically stated in the constitution and in Texas statutes, a minor whose disabilities are removed legally has the capacities of an adult. This, in the State's eyes, eliminates the need for a parent to pay child support.

If you need a Bryan-College Station Texas child support lawyer, contact Peterson Law Group at 979-703-7014.  We'd be happy to give you legal assistance.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm