Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

Modification of Child Support

Posted by Chris Peterson | Jan 10, 2014 | 0 Comments

Modification of Child Support

Modification of Child SupportModification of child support requests are very common. After all, the needs and circumstances of both parents and children can change significantly over the course of time that support is in force. Texas family courts do not grant such modifications automatically, however. It is important, therefore, that you have a child support attorney in Conroe in your corner to assist if you need to make such a request.

Who Can Request a Modification

Either party can request a modification. Under Texas law, child support ordered by the court remains in effect until the child reaches age 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes later. While the court recognizes that changes often become necessary, it requires documentation to support the changed circumstance.

You should not rely on a verbal agreement with the other party. While both parents may have maintained good relations, verbal contracts related to child support do not carry legal authority, and can only lead to potential problems.

Reasons for Modifications the Court Will Recognize

A modification should be requested only after consultation with your child support attorney in Conroe. This is because it is important to go to court with a compelling case, along with the necessary documentation to show the changed circumstance. Among the most common reasons for a modification are:

  • The child's needs change: Such a change in needs may result from age of the child. It might also be due to a change in the child's health.
  • The custodial parent becomes employed: If the custodial parent begins working, say, after the children begin school, his or her need for child support may change.
  • One parent receives an inheritance
  • Remarriage
  • Frequency of visitation by the non-custodial parent changes
  • One parent's income changes: A child support attorney in Conroe will tell you that usually family courts look for an income change that is significant enough. A 25% or greater diminishment or increase in pay will almost certainly be acceptable; a lesser change may or may not be.

For More Information

If you need assistance with filing a child support modification, or have questions about other family law issues, Peterson Law Group is here to support you. Call a child support attorney in Conroe today at 936-337-4681.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm