What Rights Do Children Have in a Texas Divorce?
Texas family courts endeavor to keep the needs of any children involved in a divorce as the highest priority. While the rights of children are not specifically articulated, parents have a responsibility to make sure that they recognize and agree upon a set of rights that will help protect the children from the pain of the divorce as much as possible. A Montgomery County Divorce Attorney can help you establish rights of the children to which you and your spouse agree.
Why It Is Useful to Develop a Bill of Children's Rights
It often helps when divorcing spouses set up a bill of rights for their children. Doing so ensures that children avoid feeling trapped in the middle. Many children, indeed, come to feel that they are in no small part responsible for their parents' problems. Remember that whatever problems you and your spouse have, these are not your children's problems, and they are not responsible for fixing you.
Some Children's Rights to Consider
Many divorcing parents are so estranged that they find it difficult to achieve common ground on almost any subject. One area where this can occur, however, is in the welfare of the children. Any decent parent wants his/her children to be happy. Your Montgomery County Divorce Attorney can suggest other possible rights, but the following are a few to consider:
Children have the right to:
- Not be a part of any conflict between the parents.
- Love both parents and express that love.
- Not to be the go-between or messenger for parents.
- Not be subjected to arguments between parents.
- Not have to hear negative comments about the other parent.
- See both parents regularly.
- Not have to take sides.
- Have pictures of both parents on display in their room.
- Not be interrogated by either parent about the other.
- Keep items that remind them of the other parent, such as gifts, photographs, greeting cards, letters, etc.
A Divorce Lawyer Can Help
If you would like to set up a children's bill of rights, speak to a Montgomery County Divorce Attorney who has compassion and dedication to the task. Call Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681