Texas Hand Surgeon Learns a Hard Lesson in Child Support Case
Dr. Michael Brown, a former Houston hand surgeon, was jailed recently in Harris County for failure to pay child support. Brown, who founded a national chain of carpal tunnel treatment clinics, is being held in the Harris County Jail, with bond set at $500,000.
Enforcement of child support falls under the Office of the Attorney General's Child Support Division. If a noncustodial parent falls behind or refuses to pay, the Child Support Division has several tools at hand to try and motivate the parent to pay their child support. These actions include:
- Requiring the noncustodial parent's employer to deduct the child support from the nonpaying parent's paycheck through wage withholding
- Intercepting federal or state income tax refunds, lottery winnings, or other money from state or federal sources
- Filing liens against property or assets
- Suspending drivers, professional, or hunting and fishing licenses
- Filing a lawsuit and asking a court to enforce a child support order
- Sentencing a nonpaying parent to jail until such time as he or she purges the contempt, usually by paying a certain amount of the arrearage
If you are dealing with a nonpaying ex-spouse, contact an experienced family law attorney today to find out your options for getting the support you need to care for your children.
For assistance with a divorce, child custody, or child support matter, call the Peterson Law Group at 936-337-4681 or 979-703-7014. Our experienced Conroe, Texas divorce attorneys will stand up for your rights and protect your interests.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment