Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

Unpaid Child Support in Texas

Posted by Chris Peterson | Jul 12, 2014 | 0 Comments

Unpaid Child Support in Texas

Unpaid Child Support in TexasA court order to pay child support is taken very seriously in Texas and other states. Indeed, a parent who fails to pay may even face jail time. State laws side quite definitely with the custodial parent to gain satisfaction for nonpayment. However, dealing with such legal issues is not a simple matter. Therefore, if you are seeking assistance with forcing payment it is in your best interests to work with a Conroe child support attorney.

The Epidemic of Nonpayment

If you are owed back payments for child support, you are not alone. Fewer than 50% of custodial parents receive the full ordered support amount. What is worse, 25% don't receive any payment at all (U.S. Census 2010). The reason for this problem is not altogether clear; perhaps the slow economy is partially to blame. However, the problem existed even when our economy was thriving.

Regardless, nonpayment is no small matter. If you are a parent who is obliged to pay but cannot, you need to discuss the matter with the other parent, if possible, and then seek a temporary modification. The money you owe does not go away—not even through bankruptcy. Indeed, a judge does not have the power to dismiss unpaid custody support.

If you are a custodial parent who is not receiving the payments ordered by the court, you need to hire a Conroe child support attorney who will act on your behalf to ask the court to enforce the order.

How to Collect Unpaid Support

Both federal and state laws have established penalties for those who fail to pay support. Among these are:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Garnishment of worker's compensation or disability payments
  • Liens against real or personal property
  • Suspension of driver's license
  • Suspension of professional license
  • Taking of income tax refunds

The parent who is owed back payments of child support can also ask the court to find the non-paying parent in contempt. This results in a misdemeanor which can lead to confinement in jail.

For Assistance with Unpaid Child Support

Whether you have only receive a partial amount of the child support owed or haven't received anything, you have rights. Hiring a Conroe child support attorney to assist will ensure you the best chance of getting the money owed to you. Call Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm