Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

What Should I Do If I Am Denied Visitation? Bryan-College Station family lawyer answers

Posted by Chris Peterson | Jun 27, 2012 | 0 Comments

What Should I Do If I Am Denied Visitation? Bryan-College Station family lawyer answers

Bryan-College-Station-visitation-attorneysThe right to see and spend time with your children is one of the most important rights you have as a parent. Even after you and your spouse have divorced, you deserve to have an influence on your child's life, and your child has the right to see both parents. At the Peterson Law Group, we understand this. Our Bryan-College Station family law attorneys will help you protect this right while shielding your children from the process as much as possible.

Bryan-College Station Visitation Attorneys Discuss Options Available To You

If your ex-spouse is denying you visitation with your children, you should immediately contact a Bryan-College Station family law attorney. There are several options available to enforce the child visitation order. Depending on the nature of the problem, we may be able to resolve the conflict through direct negotiation or through a co-parenting program. Sometimes the best solution is to modify your custody order or agreement to make it more workable for everyone. Often it is necessary to file a motion to have your ex-spouse held in contempt of court and ask the judge for additional visitation privileges to make up for the time you were unable to spend with your children due to the conflict. In some situations, it may even be necessary to file an action for interference with child custody, seeking additional relief. If the court finds that your ex-spouse violated the visitation provisions intentionally, he or she can be jailed, fined, and ordered to pay your attorney fees and court costs. An experienced Bryan-College Station family law attorney at the Peterson Law Group will advise you on the most effective and efficient options to enforce your visitation rights.

Keep Up With Your Responsibilities

Regardless of the other parent's behavior, you must keep up your own responsibilities. Continue to pay child support either as ordered (if there is a court order), agreed upon, or reasonably required for your child's necessities. You should also continue to reach out to your child. Do not give up on attempts to visit; even get the assistance of other family members if possible. Also use other means of contacting your child, such as placing telephone calls and writing letters. It will be helpful to your child's development and continued relationship with you to know that you never gave up.

Contact Bryan-College Station Family Law Attorneys

If you have questions regarding visitation with your children in the greater Bryan-College Station area, contact the family law attorneys at the Peterson Law Group at (979) 703-7014 to discuss the details of your case. You can also fill out our online contact form and we will get back with you quickly about setting an appointment.

At the Peterson Law Group, our focus will always be on protecting your legal rights and identifying what is in the best interest of your children. The Bryan-College Station visitation attorneys of the Peterson Law Group can advise you about the best ways to deal with your case while giving you the personalized attention that you deserve.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm