Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

Getting Guardianship of Minor Children After Someone Dies

Posted by Chris Peterson | Sep 17, 2013 | 0 Comments

Getting Guardianship of Minor Children After Someone Dies

Troubled ChildLosing a loved one is traumatic for adults, but especially for children who lose their parents. If you are the grandparent, aunt, uncle or other relative of minor children who are orphaned by the death of their parents, you should seek guardianship as soon as possible to care for the children.

Guardianship is handled by the probate courts in Texas. You will need legal guardianship to get medical care for the children and to enroll them in school or to change schools.

Simply being named as the guardian in the decedent's will does not give you legal guardianship. Even if the decedent named you as guardian in his or her will, if the children have a living parent, he or she is likely to be granted custody of the children unless you can show evidence that the parent is unwilling or unfit to care for the children.

The best course of action is to select an experienced guardianship and probate litigation attorney who is familiar with your local court system to explain the process and be your advocate.

Our experienced probate attorneys are ready to help. Contact the Peterson Law Group today at 979-703-7014, or visit us online to learn more about the guardianship and probate process in Texas.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm