What Do Real Estate Lawyers Do?
A real estate lawyer can be integral to the purchase or sale of your property. When you are involved in a real estate transaction you are involved with the largest single purchase most people ever make, and you want to make sure that everything is in order and handled properly. A College Station real estate attorney can do just this.
Why Not Use Non-Legal Services
There are companies that promise to do the legal work in your real estate transaction that have no legal expertise or affiliation. You may be able to save a small amount of money this way, but in the long run it can prove very costly. This is because attorneys are legally trained and are bound by a code of ethics. Moreover, they are liable for errors and omissions, and are insured thusly.
What Your Real Estate Lawyer Will Do
You actually can direct how much involvement you want your attorney to have. However, if you are selling your property, the following are tasks you should expect from your attorney:
- Review the purchase and sale agreement, including all paperwork.
- If it is required, prepare the power of attorney.
- Write the deed, if needed.
- Help with any problems with clearing the title.
- Review closing documents.
- Make arrangements for transferal of security deposits, and arrange for insurance certificates.
A real estate attorney will help with the following if you are purchasing a property:
- Review the purchase contract with you and make sure that you understand it.
- Check the title to make sure that no liens, easements, or covenants are against it.
- Create and register any necessary legal documents.
- Review the terms of your mortgage with you and work with the bank to modify them if it is in your best interests.
- Make you aware of any hidden tax implications.
- Attend the closing of escrow and review with you all the documentation.
- Arrange for title insurance.