Contact Us Today 979-703-7014

News & Articles

Reduction of Child Support

Posted by Chris Peterson | Aug 08, 2014 | 0 Comments

Reduction of Child Support

Reduction of Child SupportTexas family courts regard the care and interests of children in a divorce settlement as having the highest priority. They do, however, recognize that situations arise which necessitate a reduction in the amount of monetary support provided each month by the non-custodial parent. The laws are strict on what warrants such a reduction, however, so it is in your best interests to work with a Conroe child support attorney should you need a modification order.

What Qualifies as Grounds for a Reduction?

The grounds upon which a reduction of child support can be requested are rather limited in scope in Texas. Most commonly the non-custodial parent suffers a significant reduction in income, such as the loss of a job or a demotion. Other grounds for a reduction include:

  • Dramatic increase in custodial parent's income
  • Change to a shared custody arrangement
  • A medical problem for the non-custodial parent

What about an Informal Agreement?

Sometimes divorced parents come to an informal agreement on a reduction of child support. Such an arrangement is good in that it well may reflect an ability to get along with each other in spite of the divorce, which can only be beneficial to the children. However, you should use caution and not rely on such an arrangement lasting. If you and the other parent later argue, he or she may be able to sue for back pay, even if the reason for the reduction meets the standards of the court as stated above.

When Should I File for a Reduction?

Your Conroe child support attorney will advise you to file as soon as you know that a reduction will be necessary. It is especially ill-advised to procrastinate. This happens frequently, and all too often the non-custodial parent is brought into court on charges of contempt. You might still have a chance of being granted the reduction, but you will have to pay anything that preceded the date you filed the petition for reduction.

Who Should I Call for Help?

You should not try to handle technical legal matters on your own. It is far better to rely on a Conroe child support attorney who has the experience and understanding necessary to help protect your rights and interests. Call Peterson Law Group today to arrange a consultation at 979-703-7014 or 936-337-4681.

About the Author

Chris Peterson

Chris Peterson is the owner of Peterson Law Group. He practices primarily in the areas of wills, trusts and estate planning; probate and trust administration; elder law; and business law. Chris is also the owner of Brazos 1031 Exchange Company.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Peterson Law Group
979-703-7031 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:30pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:30pm